ZEMENT STONE, INC.
MANUFACTURED STONE VENEER
CSI Section: 04 73 00 Manufactured Stone Masonry
Zement Stone Manufactured Stone Veneer has been evaluated for use as a wall covering in compliance with Section 1405.2 of the IBC and Section R703.7 of the IRC over exterior walls of wood studs, cold-formed steel framing or concrete masonry. The veneer has been evaluated for composition, strength, durability, thermal resistance and installation. The Zement Stone Manufactured Stone Veneer is recognized as a satisfactory alternative to the weather coverings prescribed in the following codes and regulations:
- 2015, 2012, 2009 and 2006 International Building Code® (IBC)
- 2015, 2012, 2009 and 2006 International Residential Code® (IRC)
Use of Zement Stone Manufactured Stone Veneer recognized in this report is subject to the following limitations:
- “Expansion or control joints used to limit the effect of differential movement of precast stone veneer supports shall be specified by the architect, designer or veneer manufacturer, in that order. Consideration shall be given to movement caused by temperature changes, shrinkage, creep and deflection.” [AC51]
- “For installation in accordance with the IBC, supporting wall construction shall be designed to support the weight of the veneer system. Horizontal framing members, such as lintels and headers, which support precast stone veneer, shall be designed to limit deflection to l/600 of the span.”[AC51]
- “In jurisdictions adopting the IRC, where the seismic provisions of Section 2.2 apply, the average weight of the wall supporting the precast stone veneer, including the weight of the veneer system, shall be determined. When this weight exceeds the applicable limits of IRC Section
301.2.2.2.1, an engineered design of the wall construction shall be performed in accordance with IRC Section R301.1.3.” [AC51]
- “When installed on exterior stud walls, the veneer units shall be installed a minimum of 4 inches (102 mm) above the earth, or a minimum of 2 inches (51 mm) above paved areas, or a minimum of ½ inch (12 mm) above exterior walking surfaces, which are supported by the same foundation that supports the exterior wall” in accordance with 2015 and 2012 IBC Section 1405.10.1.3 or 2015 and 2012 IRC Section R703.12.1, as
- Zement Stone Manufactured Stone Veneer is produced in Littleton, Colorado
3.0 PRODUCT USE
- The backing for Zement Stone “adhered veneer shall be of concrete, masonry, steel framing or wood framing.” [Section 1404.4 of the IBC] The veneer units shall be adhered to cement plaster, concrete or concrete masonry backings. Lath, lath accessories and fasteners shall be corrosion-resistant, as
- Zement Stone Manufactured Stone Veneer shall be installed in accordance with Section 1405.10.1 of the IBC, Section R703.12 of the IRC, as applicable, ASTM C1780 and the report holder’s published installation instructions: where there is a conflict the more restrictive shall govern. The manufacturer’s installation instructions shall be available at the jobsite during veneer
- Zement Stone Manufactured Stone Veneer units may be applied over the assemblies described in Table 1 of this report when installed in accordance with the referenced code sections and this.
4.0 PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
- Zement Stone Manufactured Stone Veneer units are manufactured concrete products formed to resemble natural stone or brick in both texture and color. The individual masonry veneer units shall have a minimum thickness of 11/2 inches (38.1 mm) and a maximum thickness of 25/8 inches(67 mm). The masonry units shall have an average minimum compressive strength of 1,800 psi (12.4 MPa). The installed products “average saturated weight shall not exceed 15 pounds per square foot (73 kg/m2)” [AC51]. The recognized veneer styles are listed in Table 2 of this
Table 2 – Recognized Veneer Style Names
Euro Cobble, Stack Stone, Field Stone Texture, Blend, Limestone, Savannah Ledge, River Rock, Weathered Edge, Savannah Blend, Easy Fit Texture, Castle Stone, Limestone
Texture, Sandstone Texture, Cobble Texture, Thin Brick Texture
The product described in this Uniform Evaluation Service (UES) Report has been evaluated as an alternative material, design or method of construction in order to s atisfy and comply with the intent of the provision of the code, as noted in this report, and for at least equivalence to that prescribed in the code in quality, strength, effectiveness, fire resistance, durability and safely, as applicable, in accordance with IBC Section 104.11. This document shall only be reproduced in its entirety.
Copyright © 2018 by International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials. All rights reserved. Printed in the United States. Ph: 1-877-4IESRPT • Fax: 909.472.4171 web: www.uniform-es.org • 4755 East Philadelphia Street, Ontario, California 91761-2816 – USA
Page 1 of 3
- The veneer, at an average thickness of 687 inches (17.5 mm), has an average thermal resistance (R-value) of 0.95 hr·ft2·°F/Btu (0.167 K·m2/W) when tested in accordance with ASTM C518.
Boxes of Zement Stone Manufactured Stone Veneer are identified with the manufacturer’s name, the pattern/style name, manufacturing date, manufacturing location, and evaluation report number (ER-597). Either Mark of Conformity may be used as shown below:
IAPMO UES ER-597
6.0 SUBSTANTIATING DATA
- Data in accordance with the ICC-ES Acceptance Criteria for Precast Stone Veneer (AC51), approved January 2016. Test results are from laboratories in compliance with ISO/IEC
- Manufacturer’s descriptive literature and installation instructions.
- Reports of Thermal Transmission Properties testing in accordance with ASTM
7.0 STATEMENT OF RECOGNITION
This evaluation report describes the results of research carried out by IAPMO Uniform Evaluation Service on Zement Stone Manufactured Stone Veneer to assess its conformance to the codes and standards shown in Section
1.0 of this report and documents the product’s certification. The Manufactured Stone Veneer is produced at locations noted in Section 2.5 of this report under a quality control program with periodic inspection under the surveillance of IAPMO UES.
Brian Gerber, P.E., S.E.
Vice President, Technical Operations Uniform Evaluation Service
Richard Beck, PE, CBO, MCP
Vice President, Uniform Evaluation Service
GP Russ Chaney CEO
The IAPMO Group
Table 1 – Application of Masonry Veneer Units
1. Cement Plaster
2015 IRC Section R703.7.2 (2012, 2009 and
2006 IRC Section 703.6.2)
½-inch to ¾-inch scratch coat of Type S mortar
complying with ASTM C270, scored horizontally in accordance with IBC Section 2512.6.
2. Water Resistive Barrier
IBC Sections 1405.10.1.1;
2015 IRC Section R703.7.3 (2012, 2009, and
2006 IRC Section R703.6.3)
IBC Section 1405.4 (2006 IBC Section
1405.3) and Section 1405.10.1.2; 2015 IRC
Section R703.4 (2012, 2009 and 2006 IRC
Section R703.8) and IRC Section R703.12.2 (2006 IRC Section R703.8)
4. Weep Screed
IBC Section 1405.10.1.2; IRC Section R703.12.1 (2009 IRC Section R703.6.2.1); and TMS 402-13 Section 22.214.171.124 (TMS 402-
11 Section 126.96.36.199, ACI 530 Section 188.8.131.52)
5. Lath and Fasteners
IBC Section 2510.3 (ASTM C926 and ASTM C1063); 2015 IRC Section R703.7.1 (2012,
2009 and 2006 IRC Section R703.6.1)
For proprietary fasteners, shear and pull out capacities shall be justified to the satisfaction of the authority having jurisdiction (AHJ).
6. Over Wood Based or Gypsum Sheathing Supported by Steel or Wood Framing
See Items 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 and Notes
Items 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 with framing spaced at 16 inches on-center maximum, lath shall be 2.5 lb/yd2 self- furring diamond metal lath complying with ASTM C847 or 1.4 lb/yd2 galvanized woven wire mesh complying with ASTM C1032, fastened in accordance with the requirements of ASTM C1063, Section 7.10.2, and Section R703.6.1 of the IRC with fasteners spaced
a maximum of 6 inches on-center.
7. Over concrete or concrete masonry
Prepare surfaces in accordance with IBC Section 2510.7 and Section 5.2 of ASTM C926.
Items 1, 3, 4, 5 and 6 except with metal lath complying with ASTM C847; or 1.4 lb/yd2 woven wire plaster base complying with ASTM C1032. The veneer may also be adhered to backings of clean concrete masonry without lath, in accordance with Section 2510.7 of the
IBC and Section 5.2 of the ASTM C926.
8. Mortar Application of Veneer Units
2015 IBC Section 2103.2.4 (2012 and 2009
IBC Section 2103.9, 2006 IBC Section
Nominal ½-inch thick setting bed of Type S mortar applied to the back of the veneer units in accordance
with Zement Stone installation instructions.
SI conversions: 1 inch = 25.4 mm, 1 lb/yd2 = 0.54 kg/m2